Saturday, October 6, 2007

I saw the future of the Warriors flash before my eyes late last night...

...Thankfully, the future remains bright.
Last night, the top headline on ESPN.com was a breaking news story from Hawaii, where the Warriors are holding their training camp. The story said that Monta Ellis, the 21-year-old diamond in the rough, had hurt his neck during a drill, and lay prone on the ground for over 20 minutes. Reports from eye witnesses said that he had no movement in his arms and legs.

It took a while, but the Chronicle finally put something up on SFGate. Janny Hu, who was at the practice, said that Monta fell and hit his head on the hip of Brendan Wright.
The news left me with a heavy heart. Anytime we see a player suffer an injury involving the neck, we instantly think the worst. My first thought when I saw that he had hurt his neck and had no movement was that at 21, his career was over.
I'm not a religious man, but I was praying for him as I went to bed.

When I woke up, and turned on ESPN, I caught something out of the corner of my eye. It was the scroll on the bottom of the screen. I managed to read the last part which read something along the lines of "left hospital under own power." I didn't have to see the rest of the scroll. I knew it was about Monta. The biggest sense of relief came over me.

When it comes to sports, neck injuries terrify me. Torn tendons in a players elbow or knee can heal with surgery and inactivity. Concussions take time, but the player gets over it (until he gets hit hard again...see Steve Young) and broken bones mend themselves. But serious neck injuries can be life changing injuries. Players may walk again, but it can take years, and usually, the effects are noticable. Think Kyle Brady, Adam Taliaferro, and now, Kevin Everett. Time will tell what kind of effects Everett's injury will have on him. Doctor's think he'll walk again, but the chances are slim as to whether he'll ever play again.
Monta Ellis should be saying a million prayers, and thanking his lucky stars he doesn't have to start planning rehab assignments in order to walk again.

No comments: