Saturday, September 22, 2007

Welcome to my Opinion-driven World.

Since this is my first posting, the polite thing to do would be to introduce myself. My name is Ali Thanawalla. I go by the name Ali Thanawalla. But you can call me Ali.
I'm a 23-year-old student at San Francisco State, majoring in Journalism and Photojournalism. I'm trying to decide which concentration I want to focus on. Photography is what I enjoy more, but I've had a real passion for creative writing since my senior year of high school. I finished high school with more experience looking through a viewfinder than writing about the thoughts that came into my head. But at the community college I went to, there was no photography department. So I put my mom's old Minolta camera down and turned my attention to creative writing classes.
Writing was the first solid direction I had. During high school, I dabbled in website design and thought about psychology, but I was never able to grasp those concepts completely. Writing is what pulled me towards journalism. I never thought about being a journalist growing up. But when I would pick up the newspaper every morning, my first move was to pick up the Sports page and see what columnists like Dave Del Grande, Bruce Jenkins, Tim Fitzgerald and Scott Olster had to say.
I'm a huge sports fan. I've had friends tell me that they've never met anyone that knows more about sports than I do. Combine that with my love for writing, and that's how I came up with journalism.
As one can imagine, my dad is a quite skeptical of this journalism thing, but I'm determined to do something I love with my life, and on some level, prove him wrong. I may not make as much money as he's made in his life, but I want to do something in life that makes me happy at the end of the day.

This blog is going to revolve around sports. I am going to tell you how I genuinely feel about a lot of topics, and I am going to make predictions. One of my favorite things about debating sports with friends is making bold predictions, having your friend laugh in your face and tell you that's the dumbest thing they've heard, and then have your prediction come true. I may even post some photographs that I take.

I welcome feedback, and I love to debate sports, so I hope anyone and everyone that reads this feels compelled to challenge me.

Take it easy,
Ali

No comments: