Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bring on the World Cup...of Cricket

Good morning everyone. It's actually almost 3pm here on Thursday, but most of you will be reading this as you wake up.

Not feeling too good right now. I think I ate some bad food last night. Wasn't a pretty scene last night. But I slept off the bug and I feel better today. Decided to stay home and take it easy. My aunt and cousin have gone out for lunch.

Anyway, before my near-death experience last night, per my request, Zahir took me to a spot on Marine Drive I had been eyeing for a couple days. As evidence by the video a posted last week, Marine Drive a long stretch of road. From the far end, you can see all the major Government and office buildings. But this year, there is a new character in the Marine Drive skyline: Wankhede Stadium. New in the sense, the lights are on in the evening because construction crews are making last minute round-theclock preparations for the Cricket World Cup which is starting on the 19th. So just about evening since I've been here, the lights have been on. Below is a 30 second exposure.

Getting Ready For The World Cup

On Tuesday, my aunt and I went to the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. Kala Ghoda is a big artsy area in the middle of South Bombay with lots of old British-built buildings. The festival was your typical street fair. There were booths where people were selling crafts, there was entertainment for kids. People were taking photos with statues and shrines built for the festival. And there was a large stage set up for dancing and plays. From about 5pm to 10pm, there were a number of performances. My aunt and I watched three performances.

Kala Ghoda Festival

Puppets

Follow The Ball

After the festival, we stopped so that my family could buy some snacks from one of the street vendors. These guys were popular. They were making Bhel Puri and Sev Puri. And it wasn't that expensive. My aunt, cousin and friend all ate two helpings and the total for all three of them came to 70 rupees. That's literally a $1.50. And that was pretty much their dinner for the evening. That's not too shabby if you ask me.

70 Rupees Buys A Lot

Alrighty, like I said, I'm supposed to be taking it easy today, so I'm going to go do a little reading and take a nap before everyone gets home.

No comments: