Wednesday, December 26, 2007

'Flat Hunting' in Kharghar - 12/26/07

Greetings. I spent Day Two with my aunt and two of my cousins in Kharghar looking for a new apartment for my cousin Rahim. This place is about an hour and half outside of Bombay, and the best way to describe it is a bunch of apartment complexes in the middle of nowhere. It's so out there that there are designated times during the day when there is no electricity. The place that Rahim lives in right now has no power from 10am to noon, and 2pm to 4pm. We were sitting in his bedroom with the fan on full blast when all of a sudden, it stopped. You know you're roughing it when there are specific blackouts every day.
While I know that the goal of a photojournalist is to get up close and personal with the subject and find the bigger story, I honestly think some of the best, or rather, most interesting photos you can take can actually come from a moving car. There are things that you see while riding around that you never see in the States. I wish I had the photos to prove it, but my aunt had the Air Conditioner on in the car and she wouldn't let me roll down the window, so I was limited in the pictures I could take. But I saw a child, no more that 13 years old, steering a bull-drawn carriage and whipping the bull. On the drive home, I saw a guy sleeping the back of a cargo rickshaw. It may not be the idealistic photos that professional photographers want to see, but I think they are just as telling about the country and the culture.
So on the way home, we stopped at one of the new malls, Center One, to eat. I'm still amazed by the amount of the Christmas decorations I've seen. I just wasn't aware that Christmas was such a big deal in a country made up of Hindus and Muslims.

This was the scene inside the mall. They had Christmas trees and presents hanging from the ceiling. Funny thing is, during my both of my Photojournalism classes, we've gone over where you can and can't shoot, in terms of permission. We've been told that we aren't allowed to shoot in malls, and apparently, the rule carries over to India, because after about 10 minutes, I was approached by a police women who told me that I wasn't allowed to take photos in the mall. She wasn't rude, and when I told her I'd put the camera away, she walked away. Chances are if this had happened in the States, they would have tried to get me to delete the photos.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to go to Bandra to see my grandmother. Amazing how when I made my trip at the end of 2005, the main reason was because her health wasn't very good and we weren't sure if she would make it to the summer of 2006, which is when I really wanted to go. Now, it's 2007, going on 2008, and while her short term memory is gone, she's still going strong.

Have a good Wednesday everybody.

Take it easy,
Ali

No comments: