Saturday, December 29, 2007

Eventful Two Days - 12/30/2007

So last year, a major political player in the region was killed (Saddam Hussein). This year, Benazir Bhutto was assassinated on Thursday.
I didn't know much about Bhutto, and until she came out exile a few months ago, I honestly didn't know idea who she was. And I don't know much about the politics within Pakistan, so I wont act as if I do. But she was a progressive politician trying to spread democracy in a region that may not want change. She was educated in the West and the people that hate Western civilizations feared her winning the elections next week. Since I didn't know much about her, I hadn't really formed an opinion on her. I hadn't decided whether I liked her or not. I don't know how to weigh the corruption accusations. But if she was truly about spreading democracy and equality throughout a region that isn't know for those two things, then she couldn't have been all that bad. I've seen major world leaders die, but this is the first assassination I've witnessed, and it's a fairly scary thing. You never think something like this can happen in an age of high security. And I've had to try and figure out how my family feels about this. They have a lot more knowledge of the politics in the region, so they have defined opinions of who they like and dislike. I still can't tell how they felt about Bhutto, but they do think the Pakistan Govt had something to do with her death rather than al Qaeda. I tend to agree that I don't think al Qaeda had anything to do with it. They will take credit for just about anything.
The photojournalist in me was hoping that there would be some protests or gatherings to mourn Bhutto around Bombay, but I didn't hear of anything. Oh well.

So the reason why I haven't posted in a few days is because my cousin didn't pay the internet bill, so the internet was cut for a few days. We finally got it back this morning, but I was out of the house all day.

Friday morning, I woke up fairly early and was about to catch the sun coming up. Brought back memories of waking up with my mom and watching the sun come up. The only difference is that we were watching from my grandmother's house, whereas I was at my aunts house.


Speaking of my grandmother, I visited her for the first time on Friday.

My cousin Samira and I went to see her. And while I love her to death, I can't help but feel frustrated with how stubborn she is. The girl that she has looking after her is about as useless a human being you will find on this planet. All she is good for is lying and taking advantage of my grandmother, and playing all of us for fools. My grandmother has about a half dozen or more medications that are prescribed to her, and she's supposed to be taking most of them daily. When Samira and I opened her medicine box, we found enough medicine for about two months. In the case of some of her medicines, there was enough for three months. I've said it many times, but if I could speak Hindi, I'd have ripped into that girl three years ago. I've told Nani that this girl isn't helping her, but she refuses to get rid of her. Nani hasn't taken her heart medicine in nearly two months, and she hasn't had her calcium pills in nearly as long, yet this girl is checking off on the schedule that Nani is having her pills. The girl isn't too bright because she never got rid of the pills.
But it was really sad to see my grandmother practically crying when Samira and I told her that we were going to have to tell my aunt that she wasn't taking her medicine. It was like one of those scenes when a child breaks something and doesn't want there parents to find out because of the fear of being yelled at. Except this was the mother scared of her child doing the yelling.
There's only so many times I can come here and watch this girl basically whittle away the life of my last remaining grandparent. Each of the last three years, I've told Nani she needs to get rid of this girl, that she is no good. Last year, this girl wasn't feeding her proper meals. Now she's not giving Nani her medicine.
I've always loved going to Bandra and spending time with my grandmother, holding her hand and spending time with her, but when somebody refuses to listen to you about something so serious and refuses to make the requisite changed to improve her life, it makes the visits tough.
But I love her. I don't like to give up on people. And my mom wouldn't be happy if I gave up on her mother.

So I've been looking for stories here that i might be able to photograph and send back to the photo editors for the first issue of the school paper next semester. I was given some ideas but I felt like I hadn't started soon enough, so I figured that finding a hard-hitting topic which required special access would be too difficult (may next year). I decided that I would just come here and find a story in the news and see if something comes of it. Talking with one of next semesters editors, Amanda, she suggested that I try and localize a story here in Bombay to San Francisco. She suggested finding some groups that might be in Bombay but were organized in California.
Anyway, I've been checking the three papers we get at the house and cnn-ibn.com regularly, and I think I found the story I want to pursue. It's not a breaking news story, but it can related back to San Francisco on some level.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Mumbai/1200_trees_face_axe_for_city_projects/articleshow/2654059.cms
Since the internet had been down for the last two days at my cousins house, I haven't been about to do any research into where these trees might be or when the chopping might happen, but I think this story relates back to us because San Francisco was deemed the Greenist city and because of the whole tree squatting protest going on in Berkeley. My cousin said he knows a few journalists and that he will make a few calls for me. Hopefully I can find something before I head home.
Next year, I'll plan better and shoot for the heavy story.

This year, I've been a little more hesitant to take pictures of "mumbaikers." Don't know why exactly. Might be that I was told that while the photos I took last year were good on some level, they weren't photojournalistic photos. But it might also be because I feel bad for the people that I see. Last year, I just shot unconsciously, but this year, while I see things that I want to photograph, I just can't bring myself to press the shutter button.
I was hanging out with Zahir and his friend Ashu and Karl last night and the street lighting was cool. Even after midnight, there were taxis available and one of the drivers was just standing around. I think the photo came out pretty well.


Today, we went back to Kharghar to meet with the owners of one of the apartments that Rahim liked. On the way back, we made another pit stop at Center One and I did some shopping. Picked up a few small gifts.
Tomorrow, I am going with my aunt and uncle to pick up Sarah's mom from the airport. Her flight lands at 11:30. Hopefully we'll go to Bandra and I'll get to meet all my aunts on that side of the family. A couple of them have been calling me here trying to find out when I'm coming to see them.

Alright, well, it's 1:30 on Sunday morning, and I'm tired and I have to be up soon. More later.

Take it easy,
Ali