Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year - 1/3/2008

I wish I could say that I have some great photos to post, but I haven't been able to get out and shoot a lot of stuff. My family is very protective of me, making it hard to convince them to let me go out and photograph.
I've tried contacting the people running the project to cut down those trees, but they haven't responded. My cousin Zahir said he'd call some journalists he knows, but there's been some family issues that have arisen that have understandably made my requests his last priority.
I would have had one of the more amazing sunset photos, but a certain Aunt would not let my uncle pull the car over so that I could get out for 2 minutes to take the photo.

On the way back from Bandra on Sunday night, there was major, major traffic. We think we have bad traffic, but this takes the cake. It took two hours to get back to my house in Cuffe Parade. It shouldn't take more than an hour on a normal day.
Anyway, the point of this story is that the traffic was so bad that an Ambulance, with its lights flashing and sirens blarring, could not find room to get through. Cars had nowhere to go. They couldn't pull over to let the Ambulance to get to wherever it needed to go. We don't know if they had somebody in the Ambulance or if they were on the way to pick somebody up, but either way, the traffic may have prevented someone from living. Crazy stuff.

So it happened again. A woman was groped and molested on New Years Eve in Bombay. Last year, it was the big story. This year, it happened near Juhu Beach, which is one of the best beaches in the area. It happened as the women and their dates where leaving some 5-star hotel. A big group of men started talking trash to the women, so one of the girls cursed at him, then the group of men pounced on them. Somehow, there were two photographers from the Mumbai Mirror newspaper at the scene and one of them got a shot of one of the guys pulling up the dress of one of the girls.
The photographers took their photos to the police and helped lead to the arrest of several suspects, but now, amazingly, the two girls refuse to file police reports and want the police to leave them alone, meaning that the suspects in custody may be let out without punishment.

Surprisingly, Bombay wasn't very crowded on New Years Eve. Samira believes that around 75% of the people that are usually roaming around went out of town for the weekend.
After our New Years dinner, we went for a drive along Marine Drive, the major road along the water. We missed most of the fireworks while we were trying to get to Marine Drive.
We kept going past this car with these two small girls that were shouting 'Happy New Year,' so I took some photos of them. The funny part was, the girl in the backseat loved the camera, but the girl in the front seat would look at me, say 'Happy New Year' but then cover her face when I was taking photos.

Went to Churchgate today with my aunt and cousin to do some business stuff, shop and eat. Here are a couple picture of the many churches.



That's about it for now. Saw on CNN last night that oil prices are over $100 for the first time. Samira and I were talking about how much people are going to start complaining because gas prices are going to shoot up now. The reports last night already had prices going up 4 rupees per liter here.

Take it easy,
Ali

No comments: