Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I love me some Steak Sizzler - 1/9/2008

Weeks prior to my trip, I couldn't stop thinking about, or for that matter, talking about the Steak Sizzlers at Kobe in Bombay. When Zahir kept telling me that he'd pay me back for all the things I brought him, I told him to just take me to Kobe once or twice. That would more than make up for everything. Well, while we've talked about going to Kobe almost every night I've been here, Zahir's work schedule hasn't allowed him to get home early enough to go.
So when my cousin Zain (from my dad's family) said he wanted to take me out for dinner tonight and mentioned that there was another sizzler place, Yoko Sizzlers, in Fort near all the banks, I knew that was the place we had to go. I ordered the pepper steak. Ya, it's that good. They give a lot of fries and the piece of steak is pretty big, although you can't see it in the photo because there is a mountain of fries. You have to eat a lot of the fries before you can even start on the steak. So by the time you get to the steak, you've already eaten a lot. Eventually, and sadly, I had to sacrifice the fries in order to finish the steak, which I did. Good stuff. Now I Zahir and I have to go to Kobe next week. You can put good money on the fact that I will be skipping breakfast and lunch that day.


After Zain and I left Yoko, he took me for a joyride by the Gateway of India. Unfortunately, the Gateway is having some surgery done, so they've fenced the entire area off. But don't tell that to the horses pulling the Victorian carriages. Even though the biggest tourist attraction in the city is closed, they still have to work down there. This horse needed to refuel. Should have bought him a Yoko Sizzler.


One of the funnier things I've seen here (and I've seen some crazy things) happened while we were driving through downtown Colaba. In front of us was one of those horse-drawn carriages, going fairly slowly (maybe the horse was low on fuel?). All of a sudden, these two kids, one boy and one girl, probably no more than 10 years old each run by our slow-moving car. At first, I couldn't figure out where they were running to, but when they got to their destination, I couldn't help but laugh...and take photos.
They had caught up with the carriage, and grabbed onto a bar on the back of the carriage and pulled themselves onto the axle of the carriage.
Yep, they were hitchhiking on the back axle of a horse-drawn carriage.
I wish we could have stayed behind them to see how they got off the carriage.


So I'm looking forward to Friday Night. I'm finally going to get to see my cousin Sana, Zain's sister. She's 31, married and has two kids. She moved out of our big house a few years back, so the last two years when I've come here, I haven't had a chance to meet up with her. But Zain and I made a point of it to set something up with her tonight. She has a six month old baby boy, and anyone that knows me knows that I love kids, so I'm counting the minutes until Friday afternoon.

Alright, it's 1am. Zahir is still at work. I know! He's got a hard deadline which has to be met, so he's supposedly staying at the office until 4am to finish his work. This is what happens when you love you work. I forgot to mention that he left the house at about 11am, oh 14 hours ago. Talk about graveyard shift.

Time to go to sleep.

Take it easy,
Ali

P.S. - Big game for the Warriors tonight against the Blazers. Whoda'thunkit that the Warriors and the Blazers in January would be a big game.

No comments: