Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Public Display of Affection is Prohibited - 1/15/2008


Seriously people. Read the sign. Where do you think we are? America?
This is the area just behind my aunt's house. There is a tiny wall in front of the water that people sit on at night. India sure has changed over the last few years. Years ago, it was unheard of for couples to hold hands in public, let alone show any sort of affection towards each other. It's gotten so out-of-hand that there are sex advice columns in the daily Mumbai Mirror.

So my trip is winding down. I haven't posted anything in a few days because, well, I haven't accomplished much since late last week. There were days where we didn't leave the house. I wasn't too happy about it either of those days, but we were waiting for things to be delivered, so we really had no choice. The days I did leave the house, there was nothing interesting to photograph.

On Friday, I finally got to meet my cousin Sana, whom I hadn't really seen since 2001. We saw each other for about an hour on my first of these solo trips in 05-06. Last year, we just couldn't coordinate properly. This year, her brother Zain and I made a point to get together with Sana at least once. She has a new baby, 7-month-old Uzair, to go along with 5-year-old Naba. Naba was your typical 5-year-old, full of energy and attempting to get away with anything. Uzair was your typical toddler, crawling everywhere. And he took to the camera. He kept reaching for it and looking at it. He was a natural in front of the camera. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Uzair.


Today, we ventured to Kharghar, once again, in search of a new residence for Rahim. And once again, we're on the fence about the place we looked at today. It's a multi-level row house, rather than the single-level flats we've been looking at. Nice place. Crazy owner. Interesting possibilities. There is a chance that if Rahim and his buddy decide to take this place, that the owner could sell the garage area to a business person and allow them to run a food stand, or dance classes, out of the bottom level of Rahim's apartment. It'd be like having an apartment on top of a restaurant, and having to go through said restaurant to enter and leave your apartment. I would hope that they would at least give him free dinner when he comes home.

Anyway, this place was in a back alley off the main road. As we were walking back to the car, I saw these kids playing in the middle of the road. Not exactly ideal conditions for children to be running around in if you ask me. Behind me, there was a large mound of gravel and rocks that a couple kids kept running up.


The drive home was accompanied by a beautiful sunset. I may tell a few people that they are my best friends, but the truth is, the Sunset is my real best friend. To those select few, I'm sorry, but the truth had to come out sooner rather than later. These guys were playing cricket along the lake. They have their very own McCovey Cove.


The drive features miles and miles of open land...and powerlines. Not quite sure what the powerlines are powering.


Then there was a long stretch where we were basically chasing the sun. Even our Family friend Tushar, who was driving, kept asking me if he should stop so I could take pictures. It was that awesome.


Alright, well, that's all I got for now. I hope this makes up for the lack of posts over the weekend. Hopefully I'll have a few more photos to show you guys before I leave Sunday night. Rahim is finally coming back to spend a few days here. Fortunately or unfortunately, it's the last two days I'm here. The Mumbai Marathon is Sunday morning. Going to try to get up early and get some action shots.

Take it easy,
Ali

PS - Whatever you do, don't waste your money on the new National Treasure movie with Nicolas Cage. Absolutely worthless. Plot was horrible, and it felt like they tried to take pieces of the Bourne series, the Ocean's series and the Indiana Jones' series and make one mega movie. But it failed horribly. Horribly! I joked with Zahir and his friend Harsh, that the best scene was the last scene, which had nothing to do with the story line.

No comments: