Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I probably shouldn't have read that article...

The day before I was to leave Bombay, I read an article on MSNBC.com about the worst airports in the world. I was already upset about leaving my family (and the warm weather), so reading that Shivaji Airport in Bombay and Liberty Airport in Newark rank as two of the worst airports in the world in terms of delays, didn't make me feel much better.

And, they lived up to the hype. Security was nutty in Bombay. The check-in process took at least 45 minutes. Immigration took 20 minutes, and I swear I was behind two guys that were trying to hide something. Don't know what it was, but they kept checking with each other on the reason for their visit to Bombay. I think they settled on "Business."
With the two security checkpoints that we were required to go through to get to our plane, there should be no way that anyone is able to sneak anything on the plane that shouldn't be there...except the bottle of orange juice that I had in my bag that made it all the way to New Jersey before the secutiry screener there said I wasn't allowed to have it in my bag and promptly threw it away. Another funny thing: The lady that went through secutiry before me in New Jersey had her bag searched because the screeners though she had a 12 inch wrench in her bag. When they opened her bag and opened the box in question, they found a 12 inch wrench...a 12 inch chocolate wrench. I guess if they make chocolate cigars, they can make chocolate wrenches.
Anyway, back to Bombay. It took people so long to get through the security process in Bombay, that our flight get off the ground 30 minutes after the schedule departure. That wasn't good news for me considering that I had only a 90 minute stop in New Jersey.
As expected, we landed about 20 minutes late in Jersey, and as we were taxiing to the gate, the captain stopped the plane, turned off the engines and said that we were going to have to be towed into the gate. We were scheduled to land at 5:25am EST, and I didn't get off the plane until about 6:10. By the title I got through Customs, it was 6:25. And I still hadn't claimed my bags and rechecked them. I was hoping that Continental would throw us a bone and hold the 7am flight, but I guess that was asking a bit too much. Who am I kidding. They don't even give Economy class those travel toothpastes (only 1st class gets that) so why should I have expected them to hold a half empty flight made even more empty by the lack of passengers coming from Bombay.
So I got my bags and, at 7:15, went to the Transfer Desk only to find out that they 8:45 flight was booked. So I had to wait until 11:45. And as compensation for missing my flight, I was given a $12 food voucher good at any of the fine eating establishments in the airport, like McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts or Ben and Jerry's, which were about the only things up at 7:30am. Of course the Steak House isn't open when I have house money.

With all of the said, I am home. While I'm happy to be home, and excited to get back to school, I do already miss my family. It's a good feeling to wake up in the morning and see women in the house, especially two women that remind me so much of my mom. I've been back 24 hours and I already miss that.

I didn't have any time over the last few days, so I've got a backlog of photos to post.

On the 17th, I went to Bandra with Mumtaz Aunty, Sarah's mom to see her uncle(my grandmother's brother) and his wife. On the way back to Colaba in the evening, we drove by the Mahim slums. It's amazing that people can live in these conditions. Even more amazing is that across the road from these slums were beautiful condos.



Something That really irritated me(Zahir found my irritation to be amusing) was that in preparation for the 5th annual Mumbai Marathon, city workers were painting crosswalks on the road. Anybody that's been to Bombay, or seen video Bombay for that matter, knows that people cross wherever they need to. You just wait for an opening in the traffic, and cross. If you told people there that they needed to walk to the end of the block and cross there, they'd start laughing...then cross the road. I thought it was just a waste of money and time to paint crosswalks on roads in Bombay.


While Bombay may be one of the quickest developing countries in the world, there is still loads of poverty. The slums are eye-popping. I had to do a double take when I saw those kids playing the trash(bottom photo).



I think the funniest thing I saw was this poor fella sleepin' on the back of a parked ambulance. But when you're tired, you'll sleep just about anywhere. Maybe that's why we have couches in the labs.


I've got sunset photos from my last evening, but I will post them later. Time to go to bed. Back to the business of work and school in morning.

Take it easy,
Ali

No comments: