Monday, January 5, 2009

I hate being sick...

...especially when I'm on vacation and trying to enjoy myself. I wanted to leave the house, but I just didn't have the energy to roam around. Even on New Years, we went out for dinner, but I just couldn't wait to get back to the comfort of the house.
But now, I'm feeling better. Not 100%. Still have an annoying cough and cumbersome runny nose. But my energy to roam around has come back.
I didn't really do anything worthwhile over the last four days.
But today, I went to see my grandmother in Bandra. This fact still amazes me. My trip to Bombay at the end of 2005 was brought on by the fact that my family alerted me that my grandmother was sick and she may not live much longer, and since I hadn't been to Bombay since 2001, I might want to see her one last time. So, although terribly frightened at the thought of traveling by myself for the first time, I came to see her.
Three years and three trips later, my Nani is still fighting, although it has gotten tougher each year.


Something sad actually happened while we were visiting my grandmother. She's staying in this building that has been turned into a senior living center for women. When we got to the place, she was in the main room with four or five of the other women. After about five minutes, one of the women started to cry. She was speaking Marati, and our family friend that had come along with us said that she was sad because her family never comes to visit her. She was sad at the sight of the other residents being visited by two of her grandchildren. It was quite sad and we felt bad. We made sure to tell my grandmother to share the chips and chocolate we brought her. Now, hopefully she remembers.
On a lighter note, my grandmother actually remembered that I live in "Berkeley, in California." I'm glad she at least still has her long-term memory. She has about a one-minute short-term memory. If she had said Kensington, I would have been knocked off my feet. At that point, I would have taken San Francisco and been happy, so the fact that she remembered Berkeley made me feel really good.

On the way back, we stopped on Carter Road in Bandra because the sun was setting. I only had about three minutes to shoot, so I didn't get too many shots off, but I was fairly happy with the results.

I'll be back in this area tomorrow visiting one of my aunts, so if I'm around there near sunset, I may take another crack at it.

Only about 11 days left, so I have to the make the best of it. I want to try to do a photo story, but I'm not sure if I can make it happen on such a short timetable. We'll see.
Alright, well, it's 1:30AM here. Time to get ready for bed.

Everybody, have a good week.

Ali

1 comment:

Matt Mills McKnight said...

Good to hear you're feeling better and out and about. What will your family do if you wander off for more than a few minutes?

Get out there man! :)