Thursday, January 1, 2009

Where was the celebration?

Reading all the newspapers in Bombay during the last two days leading up to January 1st, all I saw was how relieved people where that 2008 was ending and how hopeful they were with 2009 coming. Just because a number changes doesn't mean everybody's problems go away, but people wanted to believe that the recession would be a thing of the past. Mumbaikers, as the people are called here, wanted to leave the terrorist attacks in the past.
After reading all this for the last two days, I was extremely disappointed with the fact that there were no big celebrations and no fireworks when the clock struck midnight.
After any major attack, the government tells their people to live their lives normally, and that if you alter your routine, you allow the terrorists to win, that they got their desired effect.
Well, I feel like the terrorists claimed a small victory last night. There were no fireworks on Marine Drive. There were no fireworks at the Taj Hotel.
The city's routine was anything but normal last night.

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon visiting family in Bandra. I got to spend some quality time with my niece, Naira, and nephew, Kahzar.

I think Naira is a model in the making.


I'm trying to get over a cold myself and my aunt caught a few days ago. I spent most of today sleeping, which actually felt pretty good. My aunt blames the weather, saying that it gets really warm, then get cold pretty quickly in the evening.

Hope everybody had a safe New Year's celebration.

Take i easy,
Ali

No comments: