Wednesday, January 7, 2009

So much for that idea

I know I should have planned this photo story better, but the time just wasn't there. So I emailed Happy Home School for the Blind at the end of last week. I explained what I wanted to do and that I would be taking photos and recording audio. I explained that I would like to come to the school and spend a couple days with the kids before I start shooting. The Director of the school sent me an email Monday informing me that I was welcome to come to the school for a meeting and tour today (Wednesday afternoon). But this morning at about 10am, I called her just to confirm the meeting. She informed me that I would not be allowed to take any photos or transcribe any notes. She then told me that if I wanted to take photos, I'd have to address a photo to the school and have it approved by the committee and that the committee wouldn't be meeting until next Tuesday. In my eyes, I need to start this project no later than next Monday to have enough time to do the story justice.
But at least I have a lead for the next time I come here. Any I'm enjoying the concept of relaxing and not working.
To make up for not being able to work on this story, I did a bit of audio editing for a personal project from a few months ago. School got in the way and I got about half way through all the audio when I put the project on hold. But hopefully I can finish the audio in the next few days and do a preliminary soundslides before I leave.

So getting back to my trip, yesterday, my cousin Zahir and I went with a few of his friends to Kobe to have sizzler steaks. I posted photos from this place the last few years. It's always interesting to go there. It's expensive, but the food is worth it.



In one of the last issues of [X]press this past semester, I wrote about the terrorist attacks that happened in Bombay at the end of November. I mentioned that my family lives within 5 minutes of the Oberoi and Taj Hotel. Both are clearly visible from our house. Today, I was home with my cousin Rahim and we were standing at the window talking and we were looking at the skyline in front of us. He looked at the Oberoi and pointed out that there are still burn marks around the window of one room.

The Oberoi (arrow pointing to burnt out room):


Taj Hotel


So my family had a front row seat to all the chaos. They told me that their windows rattled whenever grenades exploded and they could hear the gunfire.

That's about it from here. This post was supposed to go up about 10 hours ago, but the photo uploading function wasn't working.
Everybody enjoy watching my Gators run all over the Sooners tonight in the BCS Championship. I found a website that will probably stream it live for free, so I will be up at about 5am watching the game. Go Gators!

No comments: